A few days back my team needed to migrate an old production site. We were using Tomcat 4.1.x and the client wanted to use a more current Tomcat version in order to gain advantage of newer optimizations. Our operating environment is Linux.
The migration happened to be a piece of cake. We needed to do just two things.
- Made the following changes in my Tomcat startup script:
The earlier startup script was as below:export CATALINA_BASE=/opt/jakarta-tomcat-4.1.31/instances/application cd /opt/jakarta-tomcat-4.1.31/bin sh startup.sh cd $HOME
The CATALINA_BASE pointed to my web application home, the next line used the earlier version of tomcat. Just change /opt/jakarta-tomcat-4.1.31/bin to opt/apache-tomcat-5.5.23/bin and you will be using the newer tomcat server version.
- Replaced the 4.1 server.xml file with 5.5 server.xml:
I tried retaining the 4.1 server.xml but it started giving weird errors. I took the 5.5 server.xml made the necessary customizations to it and deployed and started the server.
On the whole the migration has been pretty smooth. Even better than my expectations.